3. Mains Question- Aug 27, 2018
“Recently, World Health Organization has termed ‘Road accidents’ as a health hazard. Elucidate”
- Theme of the question: Road accidents as a health hazard.
- Keyword in the question: ‘Elucidate’: A statement is to be made intelligible by providing relevant facts and figures.
- Introduction can start with the incidence of accidents data in India. Example: death occurs every 3.5 minutes in India due to road accidents; fatality is at all time high
- Causes of road accidents in India: unscientific road infrastructure, rectification of hot spots has not been done, no rush hour lanes, need of a safe system approach, lack of walking environment, encroached hotspots, behavioral aspect of drivers on Indian roads, emergency services etc
- Actions to be or taken already by the government/institutions in this regard: Adopting safe system approach, passing of the draft road transport and safety bill 2014, Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Sadak Yojana, basing of government actions on ‘Brasilia declaration of 2015’, revisiting Sundar committee report of 2007, better and affordable safety features for the motorists etc
- Conclusion should be within the statement given in the question. One can link right to safe mode of travel with Article 21 of the constitutions