15. Mains Question- Sep 10, 2018
‘To improve manufacturing sector output in India strategies needs to be evolved to move from capital intensive sectors to labour intensive sectors”. Elaborate. (250 words)
- Theme of the question: Manufacturing in labour intensive sectors
- Keyword in the question: ‘Elaborate’: add related details to make the statement full of meaning
- The per capita income of China is 8000 dollars and of India is 1611 dollars. One of the reasons for the high per-capita income of china is because of the high prevalence of high number of labour-intensive manufacturing sectors in their economy. India too can depend upon its labour to set up high productive manufacturing industries and utilize its demographic dividend to its maximum
- Sectors that could help in this regard include: textiles, gems and jewelry, leather and apparels industries, food processing, electronics sector etc.
- Highlight some of the issues plaguing these sectors and also suggest some measures or the actions taken by the government in this regard