18. Mains Question- Sep 13, 2018
Discuss the need of Ayushman Bharat programme in present day society? (250 words)
- Theme of the question: Ayushman Bharat and its relevance
- Keyword in the question: ‘Discuss’: narrate various aspects and details of the given statement
- Just give a very brief description of the programme in the introduction
- Need for the programme: The health sector is amongst the largest and fasting growing sectors, expected to reach US$ 280 billion by 2020. At the same time, India’s health sector faces immense challenges. It continues to be characterized by high out-of-pocket expenditure, low financial protection, and low health insurance coverage amongst both rural and urban population. It is a matter of grave concern that we incur a high out-of-pocket expenditure on account of health and medical costs. 62.58% of our population has to pay for their own health and hospitalization expenses and are not covered through any form of health protection. Besides using their income and savings, people borrow money or sell their assets to meet their healthcare needs, thereby pushing 4.6% of the population below the poverty line. The Government of India is committed to ensuring that its population has universal access to good quality health care services without anyone having to face financial hardship as a consequence. We are also entering an age where non-communicable diseases are increasing world over and also in India. In this light, a health protection scheme such as Ayushman Bharat can play a prominent role in mitigating the stress caused to the population.
- One can add more points to one’s answer other than which is given above
Pitfall to avoid: The question specifically asks for describing the need and not the salient features of the programme. Do not assign more emphasis on the salient features of the programme