33. Mains Question- Oct 01, 2018
Where and how frequently are tsunamis generated?
- Theme of the question: its location and its occurrence
- Give a brief introduction of what ‘Tsunamis”.
- In the first part of body of your answer talk about region of occurrence.
- Tsunamis are disasters that can be generated in all of the world’s oceans, inland seas, and in any large body of water. Each region of the world appears to have its own cycle of frequency and pattern in generating tsunamis that range in size from small to the large and highly destructive events. Most tsunamis occur in the Pacific Ocean and its marginal seas.
- In the second part of your answer, answer about the frequency of these events in major oceans in the world:
- Pacific covers more than one-third of the earth’s surface and is surrounded by a series of mountain chains, deep-ocean trenches and island arcs called the “ring of fire” – where most earthquakes occur (off the coasts of Kamchatka, Japan, the Kuril Islands, Alaska and South America).
- Although not as frequent, destructive tsunamis have been also been generated in the Atlantic and the Indian Oceans, the Mediterranean Sea and even within smaller bodies of water, like the Sea of Marmara, in Turkey.
- Significance of this question: The recent unfortunate occurrence of the tsunamis in Indonesia has caused considerable losses in the region both in terms of economic and human losses
- Extended reading: understand the mechanism of Tsunamis, past occurrences of tsunamis in India, strategy of minimizing losses due to tsunamis, policy of the government to combat this challenge