34. Mains Question- Oct 02, 2018
‘Information is the currency of the democracy’. Do you agree? Substantiate your answer with examples. (250 words)
- Theme of the question: Information as an asset in 21st century
- Keyword in the question: Substantiate: one answer to give examples for every argument that one makes. Do not restrict yourself with just one example in your answer.
- Give a brief introduction on what you understand by the given statement
- In body of your answer, you can elaborate further by taking examples. Such as in introduction you can talk about the relationship between information and good governance. And in your body of the answer, you can talk about ‘Right to Information’ of the government which revolutionized the governance structure in India
- You can also talk about programmes such as Digital India which ensures basic services reach to every Indian.
- You can also talk about how information as enabled better working of the government and also created more awareness among the general public. Example: Various apps released by government department. Grievance redressal mechanism, direct benefit transfer
- You can also disagree with the statements given. One can take a stand saying information is not an asset but a burden in present scenario. Since, our right to privacy is violated because of some government programmes. It gives rise to ‘Surveillance state’. You can talk about how AADHAR details were leaked online etc.
- Significance of the topic vis-à-vis current affairs angle: Recently, the Central Information Commission brought ‘BCCI’ in India under RTI ambit
- Extended reading: Kindly read about the features of RTI act, is it successful? ; What are the reasons hampering the successful implementation of the act? ; has RTI lead to any undesirable situations in our country?