03rd Oct, 2018-IAS Current Affairs
(DOWNLOAD THE PDF AT THE END OF THIS PAGE)
SIDBI launches Udyam Abhilasha (GS3: Economy)
- Small Industries Development Bank of India had launched a National Level Entrepreneurship Awareness Campaign in 115 Aspirational Districts.
- It launches on the occasion of birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi which is identified by NITI Aayog.
- SIDBI has partnered with CSC e-Governance Services India Limited under the Ministry of Electronics & IT, Govt. of India CT
Objectives of the missionary campaign include
- To inspire rural youth in aspirational districts to be entrepreneurs by assisting them to set up their own enterprise,
- To impart training through digital medium across the country
- To create business opportunities for CSC VLEs
- To focus on women aspirants in these aspirational districts to encourage women entrepreneurship and
- To assist participants to become bankable and avail credit facility from banks to set up their own enterprise.
- Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI), is the Principal Financial Institution for the Promotion, Financing, Development and Coordination of the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprise (MSME) sector.
- SIDBI meets the financial and developmental needs of the MSME sector with a Credit+ approach to make it strong, vibrant and globally competitive.
Farm policy will be in sync with global rules: India to WTO (GS3: Economy)
- India has informed the World Trade Organization that its proposed national agriculture export policy would be consistent with global trade rules.
- The policy aims to do away with restrictions such as minimum export prices or outright bans.
- It seeks to double India’s farm exports to more than $60 billion by 2022.
- It will support the policy in which government promise to help the farmer in doubling their income by 2022
- India emphasis on the Green Box subsidies provided by WTO
- Green box subsidies are non-distorting subsidies, permitted by the WTO.
- India is ranked the ninth largest exporting nation, as per the latest WTO trade data for 2015.
- Its share in global exports of agriculture products increased to 2.2% in 2016 from 1% a few years earlier.
Types of subsidies provided by WTO
Green box – Green box is a type of subsidy must not distort trade, or at most cause minimal distortion.
Amber box – Agriculture’s amber box is used for all domestic support measures considered to distort production and trade.
Blue box – Those subsidies which are not subject to the amber box reduction agreement because they are direct payments under a production-limiting program.
World Peace Monument Dome (GS1: Art & culture, prelims)
- World Peace Monument is the largest dome in the world.
- It is inaugurated on the occasion of the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- Situated at the Maharashtra Institute of Technology (MIT)’s World Peace University (MIT-WPU) campus at Loni Kalbhor.
- It is the brainchild of Dr. Vishwanath Karad founder-president of the MIT World Peace University.
- The rationale behind it is to symbolize the unity of the Indian identity through its religions, ideologies, and literature.
- The MIT-WPU has organized a four-day world parliament of science, religion, and philosophy at this campus.
Leaders will have to pay for damage by cadre: SC
- Leaders of outfits who instigate a mob to an act of vandalism, which results in death or loss of public and private property, will personally face criminal action and are liable to compensate the victims of the violence, the Supreme Court
- A Bench pinned the criminal liability squarely on leaders of outfits who “initiate, promote and instigate” mobs to destroy public and private property in the name of demonstrations, especially against cultural programmes, films and expressions of artistic freedom.”
- The taxpayer is not responsible to cough up money to pay for the destruction caused by mobs, the Bench held. Each and every person, who was part of the violence, would be booked under Sections 153A (promoting enmity), 295A (deliberate and malicious acts to outrage religious feelings), 298 (intent to wound religious feelings) and, lastly, 495 (mischief) of the Indian Penal Code. The offences would come alive if the call for violence was made through a spokesperson or through social media of a group or by any individual.
- The Supreme Court ordered persons caught red-handed by the police to be arrested on the spot. If any leader fails to appear in the police station concerned, he shall be proceeded against as a suspect and be even declared an “absconding offender”.
- State governments should set up Rapid Response Teams, preferably district-wise, to respond to mob violence, install websites which report instances of mob violence and destruction of public and private properties, special help lines, employ non-lethal crowd-control devices, like water cannons to deter the mob.
For the first time, India gets its soil moisture map (G3: Agriculture)
- With the Rabi season around the corner, a countrywide forecast is prepared at the end of the monsoon season.
- This forecast, following a joint exercise by IIT Gandhinagar and the India Meteorological Department (IMD), for the first time, provides a country-wide soil moisture forecast at seven and 30-day lead times.
- Soil moisture is crucial for agriculture since it directly affects crop growth and how much irrigation is required for the area.
- It suggests deficit soil moisture conditions are likely in Gujarat, Bihar, Jharkhand, Tamil Nadu and southern Andhra Pradesh.
- The experts used the ‘Variable Infiltration Capacity’ model to provide the soil moisture prediction.
- The product, termed ‘Experimental Forecasts Land Surface Products’, is available on the IMD website.
- It has been developed using the hydrological model that takes into consideration soil, vegetation, land use and land cover among other parameters.
- The team has been working on high-resolution soil database that is essential for soil parameters used in the modelling.
- However, the database is not available for the entire country currently.
IBSAMAR-VI kicks off at Simons Town, South Africa (GS2: IR, Prelims)
- The sixth edition of IBSAMAR, a joint Multi – National Maritime Exercise between the Indian, Brazilian and South African Navies, is being held at Simons Town, South Africa.
- The Indian Navy is represented by Guided Missile Frigate Tarkash, Guided Missile Destroyer Kolkata, Long Range Maritime Patrol Aircraft P8I, Seaking and Chetak helicopters as well as a MARCOS contingent.
- The exercise includes both harbour and sea phases with various navigation and seamanship evolutions, surface weapons firing, force protection exercises, antipiracy exercise, anti-air and anti-submarine exercise as well as flying operations.
- IBSAMAR are a series of naval exercises between the navies of India, Brazil, South Africa.
- The aim of the exercise is to undertake collective training for participating navies, building interoperability and mutual understanding as well as sharing of best practices.
- The first exercise took place in 2008
Andhra Pradesh to dole out unemployment benefit (GS2: Governance)
- The stage is set for the ‘Mukhyamantri Yuvenestham’ aimed at extending financial support and career guidance to unemployed graduates.
- The scheme will be formally launched by Chief Minister and eligibility certificates will be given away to registered candidates at the programmes to be held in every constituency on Tuesday.
- IT Minister said as 1.86 lakh applications had been verified and ₹1 transferred to each account as test transaction towards the dole of ₹1,000 per candidate. More than six lakh persons registered for the scheme and 2.07 lakh applications were verified, he said.
- Scheme received an overwhelming response and new registrations would be accepted before 25th of every month.
- All the applications will be verified during the month end and disbursement will be on the first day of the next month.
- Lokesh said following requests from the applicants, the ineligibility for candidates having wetland of 2.5 acres or more and dry land of 5 acres or more had been relaxed. Every candidate having a white ration card will be eligible.
- There were more than 10 lakh eligible candidates as per the Pulse Survey and more applications were expected as this was only the beginning of the scheme.
- As per the registrations, only 34.7% of applicants were eligible.