46. Mains Question- Oct 17, 2018
“Suicide as a mental health problem”. Elucidate (250 words)
- Theme of the question: Mental health and suicide issue in India
- Keyword in the question: Give relevant facts and figures to throw more light to the given statement
- Define what mental health is in simple words: It refers to a broad array of activities directly or indirectly related to the mental well-being, prevention of mental disorders, and treatment and rehabilitation of people affected by mental disorders. Or by giving relevant data like: In India, WHO estimates that the burden of mental health problems is of the tune of 2,443 DALYs per 100,000 population , and the age-adjusted suicide rate per 100,000 population is 21.1. It is estimated that, in India, the economic loss, due to mental health conditions, between 2012-2030, is 1.03 trillions of 2010 dollars.
- Factors driving suicide rate in India: Higher education levels, residency in South India, stress on students, farmers, isolationist living style, stigma associated with mental health are some of the factors driving suicide in India
- Suggest some measures to address this issue in our society