47. Mains Question- Oct 18, 2018
What are the main sources of marine pollution? (250 words)
- Theme of the question: Sources of marine pollution
- Marine pollution occurs when harmful, or potentially harmful, effects result from the entry into the ocean of chemicals, particles, industrial, agricultural, and residential waste, noise, or the spread of invasive organisms.
- Main sources of marine pollution
- Eighty percent of marine pollution comes from land
- The pollution often comes from nonpoint sources such as agricultural runoff, wind-blown debris, and dust.
- Plastics are estimated to represent between 60 and 80% of the total marine debris. Manufactured in abundance since the mid-20th century, most of the plastics that have been produced are still present in the environment.
- Man-made items of debris are found in marine habitats throughout the world, from the poles to the equator, from shorelines and estuaries to remote areas of the high seas, and from the sea surface to the ocean floor.
- About 80% of marine litter comes from land-based sources (eg. through drains, sewage outfalls, industrial outfalls, direct littering) while 20% comes from marine-based activities such as illegal dumping and shipping for transport, tourism and fishing.
- More such sources of marine pollution can be quoted