50. Mains Question- Oct 22, 2018
What are the salient features of the Government of India act, 1909 (150 words)
- Theme of the question: Morley-Minto reforms of 1909
- Just providing details of the act will suffice
- Some of the important features of the act are:
- It increased the number of elected members in the Imperial Legislative Council and the Provincial Legislative Councils. However, overall majority of non-elected members remained intact.
- Even elected members were to be elected indirectly by electoral college, elected by local bodies.
- Powers of legislatures were enlarged to enable it to pass resolution and ask questions and supplementaries, but yet not able to vote upon the budget as a whole.
- One Indian was to be appointed to the Viceroy’s executive council.
- Separate electorate was introduced. Muslims were allocated 8 seats, British capitalists 6 seats, landlords 2 seats and general electorate were allocated 13 seats out of total 27 non-official seats of total 68 seats in Imperial Legislative Council.